Sunday, February 27, 2011

Top Three Favorite Youtube Makeup Gurus

As I'm sitting here, I'm reminiscing about the years back in high school where I was completely unaware about the wonderful cosmetic and fashion world out there. Back in high school, I did not even own a lipgloss. I only had a lipbalm (Lip Ice) and a sample package of Clinique's powder foundation (I can't remember the full name for it) which I got from my mum. Other than that, I used nothing on my face. Nothing. The first lipgloss I bought was actually for prom...at my final year of high school...So yeah, I am seriously a latecomer when it comes to makeup. This was partly because my school was very very strict with its rules. We were not allowed to put on any sort of makeup. They even restricted us to only black and dark blue scrunchies!


Yet, all that changed when I began my degree in university. I still wonder what made me looked for tutorials on Youtube to learn how to apply makeup. Was it the urge to enhance my looks? Or was it pure curiousity? Whatever reason it was, my whole world changed when I discovered the channels of several makeup gurus. I have learnt so much from them. I began with concealer...moved on with eyeliner and gradually expanded to other products. I still remember the times where I used to struggle with my Maybelline pencil eyeliner. I was so afraid I would poke out my eye then! But through the gurus' guidance, I have successfully mastered the skills of makeup today. Applying eyeliner is no longer a problem for me and I relish in the fact that I can create so many different looks with a flick of a brush.

Here's a list of my top three makeup gurus:


1) Michelle Phan
Words cannot describe this chick. Yet if I had to, I'd allocate three words for her. Beautiful, talented and elegant...Michelle is the top makeup guru of the Youtube world. She is super amazing at what she does. Her makeup tutorials come in different kinds of themes, ranging from sweet to outright dramatic. She carries of all looks with such ease that it makes you wonder if she is human. Her tutorials are detailed, refreshing and relaxing. You can also see that she puts in a lot of effort to ensure the quality of her videos. They are clear, equipped with appropriate descriptions and conducted step by step so that the viewer knows precisely what's going on. I love her. Michelle was actually the very first guru I tuned into and she has inspired me greatly to polish my makeup skills. Some people are not happy over the fact that she has progressed from drugstore products to high-ended ones (She's now the video ambassador for Lancome). I do not mind  though because I can always subsitute the products she uses with drugstore ones. Check out her Youtube channel - michellephan.


2) Blair Fowler
One of the things that stand out is her ability to yammer on and on. Blair is super funny with her many tongue-twisters and randomness. I adore her because she is so honest and natural in her videos. She speaks very enthusiastically and this mirrors her passion for makeup. She is brilliant at applying it and she often comes up with different looks for different occasions. She also provides tutorials on how to achieve various kinds of hairstyles. Unlike Michelle, Blair actually does hauls, room tours and updates her viewers about her life in her videos. It is thanks to her I discovered the likes of M.A.C and NARS cosmetics. She is a huge fan of M.A.C and has literally everything in her collection! All in all, I feel that she is a great makeup guru because of her talent and bright personality. Her quirkiness never fails to make me laugh when I watch her tutorials. She is hilarious! Check out her Youtube channel - juicystar07.


3) Christina
In my opinion, Christina is the sweetest makeup guru on Youtube. She is elegant, soft spoken and precise in her tutorials. Makeup wise, she is not as dramatic as Michelle and Blair. Yet, one cannot deny her talent in makeup. Christina is a huge fan of brown eyeshadow shades and this appeals to me greatly because I'm all about the nudes and browns. She has a varied collection of tutorials and it is interesting to see her create so many looks with different shades of brown. I'm also an avid fan of hers because she uses mainly drugstore cosmetics (Maybelline, NYX, Loreal) in her videos. In short, it will be more affordable for viewers to  purchase those products to create the look. Check out her channel on Youtube - xteeener.

No comments:

Post a Comment