Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Colored Eye Liners Are Fun! (Picture Heavy)

Eye liners are a must have in my beauty bag. I really love them for their ability to open up my eyes. With just a flick of a pencil or brush, I can create an illusion of bigger and wider eyes. Black is the favorite for us gurls. Others who prefer something more subtle usually opt for brown. This got me thinking, why should we restrict ourselves to just two meager colors? I mean, there are like thousands of colors available in the makeup industry! So why only two?

Yours truly was intrigued by such questions and decided to have a little browse around the Internet. I wanted to see how colored eye liner is applied be it on the red carpet or during fashion events. I discovered that this trend is gaining momentum especially during the spring 2011 fashion shows. Here are some lovely pictures off the runway. 
Dennis Basso
Derek Lam
Peter Som
Dior
Dior
And here are two random ones which I fished off the Internet. Beautiful!
Few celebrities actually go for colored eye liners. My favorite look is from Leona Lewis with her fabulous mint-green eye liner! For her case, Leona used it beneath her lower lashes. This adds a brilliant dash of color!
Here is a close up. She looks ahhh-mazing!
What I have gathered from these pictures is that to carry off a colored eye liner look, you have to keep your eye shadows to a minimum. The models in most of the pictures have literally zero shadows on their lids. This creates a nice and crisp look with only the eye liner standing out. But if you insist on applying some eye shadow, opt for neutral tones or just highlight your brow bone with a nice highlight color (peach, white, champage etc). Minimal blush is recommended.

If you are using a bright neon color, I would suggest you pair it with understated nude lips. Remember, the focus of this look is the eyes. That is my personal opinion of course. I prefer it this way because I want a balance to overall look. I do not want my makeup to look exaggerated. But if you are the adventurous type of gal, go for Dior's look by pairing it up with red or coral lipstick. Make a statement!

I do not own any colored eye liners currently. I usually use eye shadows to line my lids if I want to. But my sister has this gorgeous royal purple Maybelline pencil eye liner which I have never tried. To experiment with the look, I stole it from her (muahaha!) and applied it carefully to my lids. I did not use any shadow for this look. I only applied some concealer and set it with powder.
Without flash
With flash
I absolutely love the results! The purple really stands out, giving my eyes a beautiful shade of color. This is a nice change from the usual shadows and black eye liner. I swear I will employ this look more often in the future. I even have plans to get my very own colored eye liner soon! I am thinking a rich purple or a glittery royal blue...

Colored eye liners are a simple and fun way to spice up your life.This is an extremely wearable look and it is super easy to achieve. It is perfect for both spring and summer. Try it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment