--Sales are considered a form of survival, the survival of the fabulous and fastest.--
Such was the intriquing quote which caught my attention in today's newspaper. I could not help but wonder, are sales a good thing? For us shopholics, it is definitely something to celebrate. I mean, why not? Prices drop like crazy and suddenly, the things that you previously deemed expensive are within your reach. It is exhilirating to discover that so many fabulous clothes/shoes/makeup have turned affordable in a blink of an eye. It makes you want to grab onto each and every single piece.
I, for one, am a victim of sales. There is a great sale going on in Malaysia and practically every store in the mall has hung up big red or black signs screaming "SALES." It is an absolute torture for me to walk through even one level, imagining all the gorgeous things that I can buy. And the worst thing is, when I actually see those signs, my heart starts to pound wildly. Suddenly, they begin multiplying before my very eyes...
I know, I know, it is awful. But I always get that rush of adrenaline whenever I see my favorite brands having mega sales. This usually applies to makeup. I love to raid makeup stores, scavanging for worthy buys. Don't get me wrong. I still have a shred of control within me. So when I do buy during sales period, I usually limit myself to just one item. I am sticking to this principle adamantly because I tend to feel guilty later on. Especially during the night. One big unnecessary haul can keep me awake till morning. Yes, it is that bad.
I visited a mall recently. I had gone in with a strong resolve to purchase only a chic blazer. But then Etude House caught my eye. I could not resist and went in...Big mistake. There were sales up to 50%! Every where I looked, there was a small red tag squealing 20%, 30%, 50% off. I mustered my courage and prepared to leave when...I saw it. The perfect pinkish-beige lipstick. With 50% off. The moment I laid eyes on it, I knew I had already lost the battle. It was sickeningly gorgeous! And from RM35.90, it dropped to a mere RM17.95. How could I not buy it? I wrestled with my conscience, all the while clinging to it possessively. Back and forth I went, much to the amusement of the sales assistant. Minutes ticked by. But I still could not decide. Then Mum grinned and said the magic words: "Just take it." So that is how I ended up purchasing the lipstick. I really love the shade. It is my absolute favorite now. I will do a review on it later on :)
So yeah, I have a love/hate relationship with sales. I love it because it gives me the opportunity to get fabulous stuff; I hate it because it is so friggin bad for my purse. On and off, I can resist it. I emerge victorious and give myself a congratulatory pat on the back. Other times, I succumb to temptation. But I know that it is alright, because I know how to maintain a balance. I discipline myself so that I do not overbuy.
Love it or hate it, sales have come to stay. They allow us to save in one way, but they force us to spend in another. It all boils down to self-control. Master it and you will survive :)



I'm addicted to sales too, Sista! Love em'
ReplyDeleteHahaha...my comrade!! :DD <3
ReplyDelete